Visical Phideo
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5. Other Chords

Go down

5. Other Chords Empty 5. Other Chords

Post  James Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:59 am

SUSPENDED CHORDS:
Chords that are (1-2-5) or (1-4-5) are referred to as suspended chords. Since they lack 3rds, 6ths, and 7ths they don’t have a very strong tonality. Very useful though.

Suspended second (1-2-5) is denoted “Csus2”
Suspended fourth (1-4-5) is denoted “Csus4” or just “Csus”

The don’t really have inversions. If you invert a sus2 chord, you get a different sus4 chord.

CHORD EXTENSIONS:
Another common chord type is extended chords, or rather, chords with extensions. These are chords with "add9", "add11", "add13" tacked on the end. I suppose you could add anything above 9 really. A ninth is just an 2nd an octave up. Elevenths are octave+fourths. Thirteenths are octave+sixths. You would only say a chord has an added 9th if there isn't a 2nd in the first octave. You could also have an addb9 or add#11 chord, if that note wasn't diatonic.

By the same token you can have chords missing notes. If you had a chord that was (A-E-G) you could call it A7no3, meaning it's an A dominant seventh missing it's 3rd.

"Add"s and "no"s can get messy real fast, make sure your chord isn't just an inversion of something else before going nuts with them.
James
James
Abbazabba, you're my only friend

https://ihatecoleslaw.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

5. Other Chords Empty If peeing your pants is cool, consider me Miles Davis

Post  James Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:38 am

I dunno if you're familiar, but the first chord from So What by Miles Davis is pretty cool/weird.

It's 1-4-m7-M9, which is the root, up a 4th, up a 4th, and then up a Maj3.

Not sure what you'd call that.

On guitar you can just bar across the middle 4 strings.
James
James

Back to top Go down

5. Other Chords Empty The James Bond chord

Post  James Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:44 am

You know that chord that comes before like every James Bond scene change, or when you get shot in Goldeneye?

(0-10-9-8-7-x)

1-m3-5-M7-M9

It's called a min/Maj9 chord apparently. I dunno why the 7 isn't mentioned.

Also check out the chord progression for the Bond theme:

Am-Am#5-Am6-Am#5

Am (x02210)
Am#5 (x03211)
Am6 (x02212)

These are the notes in those chords:
Am (xAEACE)
Am#5 (xAFACF)
Am6 (xAEACF#)

Am#5 is actually the same notes as F Maj. In this instance it's called a m#5, not only cause the emphasis is on A, but also so when you read the progression you don't think your making some big leap between A and F, you're just inching up and down. Think of what the bassline would be. You could play it on the A string like this (0-7-0-8-0-9-0-8 ). You never really leave that Am pocket.
James
James

Back to top Go down

5. Other Chords Empty Re: 5. Other Chords

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down